The inaugural exhibition at Grounds For Sculpture opened in 1992, featuring just 15 works exhibited outdoors. The first indoor exhibition opened in 1993 in the newly renovated “Museum” building. Since that time, more than 150 exhibitions featuring the work of hundreds of artists have been exhibited through changing exhibitions. Brooke Barrie (1956-2015), GFS’ first Curator and Director from 1992-2006 oversaw the artistic development of GFS alongside founder Seward Johnson. Championing the importance of seasonally rotated exhibitions, she engaged a diverse and impressive range of creative voices. Many of the early artworks acquired for the collection were identified through these efforts, including sculpture by Magdalena Abakanowicz, Clement Meadmore, George Sugarman, Beverly Pepper, and more.