Beverly Pepper was a world renowned artist whose brilliant and prolific career has spanned over seventy years. She has created sculptures in cast iron, bronze, steel, stainless steel, and stone. Pepper was also known for her site-specific projects in which she has incorporated expanses of industrial metals into the landscape, creating large-scale sculptures that were often designed to function as public spaces.
Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1922, Pepper divided her time between homes and studios in New York City and Todi, Italy, since 1951. Her work has been shown in numerous exhibitions across the United States, including one-person shows at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY; the Brooklyn Museum of Art, NY; the Columbus Museum of Art, OH; the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY; and the San Francisco Museum of Art, CA and in museums, galleries, and public sites throughout Europe. She is represented in major public and private collections worldwide. In 1981, three works, Symbiotic Marker, Mute Metaphor, and Primary Presence, were installed at the Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex in nearby Trenton, NJ, where they have remained on view.