Siry Anthony Caro has been hailed as one of the foremost sculptors and influential teachers of the post-war years. Caro studied sculpture in London from 1946 to 1952, then served as an assistant to Henry Moore for two years. He held a teaching position at St. Martin’s School of Art from the mid-1950s through 1979 and during an intervening period (1963-65) taught at Bennington College in Vermont. On Caro’s first trip to the United States in 1959, he became acquainted with the works of David Smith and was greatly influenced by this American artist’s assemblages of steel and iron. Caro, in turn, adopted the non-traditional technique of welding found or prefabricated metal elements and, using his own formal and structural vocabulary, created linear, abstract compositions. In a further break with convention, Caro eliminated the use of bases and placed his works directly on the floor.