Born 1946, Bad Aibling, German
Hollósy was born in 1946 in the small village of Bad-Aibling in Bavaria, Germany. He is descended from two Hungarian painters, Simon Hollósy and Csontváry Tivadar Kosztka. In 1955, his family relocated to the United States to Cleveland. In his fourth year at the Cleveland Institute of Art, Hollósy left to study with sculptor David Hostetler at Ohio University wherein he received his BFA in 1969. During the summers of 1964 and 1967 he apprenticed with sculptor Frank Varga in Detroit, MI. After completing five years of military service, Hollósy continued his studies at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA with sculptor Jules Struppeck. Upon earning his MFA in 1977, he began teaching at Tulane University and continued at Washington University in St. Louis, MO; Bethany College in Lindsborg, KS; and at the Johnson Atelier Technical Institute of Sculpture in Mercerville, NJ as Academic Program Coordinator and Gallery Director until 2003.
In the past 30 years, Hollósy has been awarded five major commissions including: Aspirations for Liberty, Boston, MA; Our Heritage, New Orleans, LA; The Family, Peoria, AZ; Cardinal Mindszenty Memorial, Cleveland, OH; and the Hungarian War Memorial in North Olmstead, OH. Additionally, he has received several exhibition awards and grants.
More information on this artist can be found at www.hollosy.com
« View full list of artists
Work on Display at GFS