A large work by James Colavita (1949-1996) was cast posthumously in bronze at the Johnson Atelier Technical Institute of Sculpture from an original, multi-sectional bell dating from 1994. The individual parts are joined by lengths of metal chain and suspended, alternating open discs and crosspieces, the bottom unit shaped like a bell. Created as a long-lasting tribute to this artist, Bell invites the viewer to ring the bronze work in honor of Colavita’s memory.
Colavita was well-known and highly respected in the region as an artist and teacher. He taught at Mercer County Community College in the ceramic-sculpture department for ten years and almost equally as long at the College of New Jersey (formerly Trenton State College). One-person shows were held on the University campus and at the Arts Council, both in Princeton, Gloucester County College, and at M.C.C.C. in his memory. He was included in numerous group exhibitions in New Jersey, especially the Trenton area, and in Philadelphia. Memorial exhibitions in his honor were held at M.C.C.C., the New Jersey State Museum in Trenton, and other nearby venues.
Works by James Colavita currently on view in the sculpture park:
cast bronze, wood, 1/2
144” x 68” x 10”
Courtesy of The Sculpture Foundation, Inc.