Grounds For Sculpture, Inc. (GFS) is fully committed to ensuring that accessibility guidelines and requirements as set forth by the federal government and state of New Jersey are implemented in as timely and efficient a manner as possible.
GFS has been consistently responsive to making the arts accessible for all people with disabilities and will continue to strive to provide the utmost accessible experience possible. Through GFS programming, design, and service, we continue to reach out to and provide assistance and appropriate accommodation.
GFS trains its staff and volunteers in order to encourage superior and effective communication and the practice of effective and sensitive techniques to serve members of the community with disabilities. GFS is also committed to exercising best practice and outreach in regards to employing persons with disabilities, both in artistic and administrative/operational areas.
GFS regularly reviews its policies and procedures to adapt, accommodate and address any issues or problems that might arise in regard to ADA compliance and will regularly assess its progress in achieving full compliance.
Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV) and wheelchairs are available to rent from the Welcome Center on a first come, first serve basis. Prices are as follows:
ECV: $25 for the first 4 hours, $10 for each additional hour
Wheelchairs: $15 All day rental
- There is limited availability of ECVs and wheelchairs.
- Rentals are due back to the Welcome Center 30 minutes before closing, so please plan your trip accordingly.
- A staff member will train the guest operating the wheelchair or ECV and a release form must be signed before departing the Welcome Center.
- A valid driver’s license or state identification card will be collected and is required to rent a wheelchair or ECV.
- Grounds For Sculpture reserves the right to suspend ECV and wheelchair rentals due to inclement weather.
- The Access Mobile is available Tuesdays – Sundays from 11am to 3pm on a first-come, first-serve basis or you may call (609) 586-0616 in advance to schedule a tour. Advance reservation is recommended.
- Tours are free with paid park admission. Please arrive at least 15 minutes early for your tour. We recommend purchasing a timed ticket that is one hour before your scheduled tour.
- Please note: Accessibility Tours start and end from the Welcome Center.
Large print information of indoor exhibitions and accessibility maps available upon request in Welcome Center.
Traveling educational presentation that offers the opportunity to touch sculptural elements and learn about the process of sculpture-making.
Touch Tours for the visually impaired (scheduled through the Tour Coordinator) by calling (609) 249-0200.
An introductory video (closed captioning provided)
Assisted listening devices (available to patrons for docent-led tours and lectures)
Interpreters (available with at least two weeks notice, includes tours and lectures)
Buildings have automatic door entrances for easy access
A wheelchair accessible video screening room.
A Museum Building exhibition space, accessible on the first floor (a digital photo frame of the second floor installation is available for viewing on the first floor)
A fully accessible Domestic Arts Building (exhibition space, cafe´ and museum shop)
- A map indicating the most easily accessible pathways is attached to this brochure.
The Seward Johnson Center for the Arts is constructed on one level allowing easy access for everyone. There are two private restrooms available to visitor’s who may need an aide’s assistance.
As an outdoor venue, some pathways throughout the park may offer challenges to those with wheelchairs/scooters. New pathways of crushed sand and composite are being constructed as funding allows. (See map for specifics)
Our Wellness Walks/Wellness Talks program targets the mature adult population and encourages learning about healthy lifestyles while enjoying the benefits of exercise in the park. (Available for all levels of mobility.)
- All of our staff and volunteers receive ADA training on an on-going basis.